Jun 14, 2012

Alface Hall






















There are many things which we can use to rate a place and an experience and that I always take in consideration. I don't write them in a paper, it is kind of an emotional process. So they are:
- Physical space (architecture/design/concept);
- The place where it is located on the map (the area);
- The people that belong there (and their niceness);
- The food (but maybe less relevant);
- The company I take with me (can turn a bad place in a wonderful experience);
- The extras (music, events, games, interactive stuff).

When all these requirements are fulfilled we know we are in a perfect place. We feel it. And this place nailed it.

First time I came by accident. We passed by it and the wonderful free jazz lured us inside. We asked for a cocktail that was a mix of lemon ice-cream with vodka. They let us try first which was pretty awesome, and served it after it had our approval. They won me completely, so I quickly planned my return.

The second time, I came back for a working session, we got to talk a little bit with the bartender and we got some neighborhood knowledge (they want to close the convenience stores at 20h to stop the botellón).

~

Between tables and sofas, we can chose what best fits us: are we drinking? Eating? Jazzing? Or working?

It is incredible the number of details of Alface Hall and the ways they use the material. The t-shirts, instead of being shown in a boring way are hanging like drying clothes and help to fill the empty space left by the high ceilings.

Over the door there is a motorcycle, and there are also some old gas pumps, telephones, bottles, radios, cameras, dolls, and the barber chairs (my favorite detail, no doubt about it).

I asked for a ham and brie toast, it was the best toast I have ever eaten. For 4.50€, I don't care really, any price, feed me this. Then the jazz started around 21h and I was in heaven.

Before leaving I decided to leave them a gift, and so my first cat from a small series was born. The Alface Cat (yes, that is a lettuce, sorry).

~

This place also ends up being more multicultural as it is connected to a hostel. You can hear english frequently. It is also near the erasmus corner (if I am not mistaken).

Funny how the word hostel creates by itself a kind of erasmus world where freely socializing is normal. We don't randomly talk to people in cafés, we have our folks, but we do it in a hostel, we are more polite and have more guts to ask some questions and they are somewhat well received.

Facebook / Website
Open from 16h to midnight everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment